Monday, January 27, 2014

The making of a crazy cat lady

As I bundle up for another night where temperatures may flirt with reaching positive single digits (seriously Indiana, this is getting old) I have to check my back up entertainment. One never knows if the power will go out with these insanely low temperatures. Fortunately my back up entertainment is working well. To give you an idea of how I stay entertained when TV and the internet doesn't cut it, please enjoy the following video.

I know the beginning is a bit blurry, but it gets better, I promise.

The two stars of this video are Maggie (the tortoiseshell one) and Jasmine (the black cat). These two have been entertaining me ever since I got them about three weeks after my move to Indiana. How did I get two cats? Very good question. Story time!

My mom has a flower shop with lots of strays running around. It just so happened that a new litter was born right when I was considering getting a cat. My mom and her flower shop friends rescued the whole litter (two girls and a boy) and kept them all inside the garage of the flower shop. The boy ended up going home with one of the flower shop ladies, but both of the sisters hung out together in the garage. They became inseparable and I was proposed only one deal. Take both and the flower shop ladies would take care of getting them spayed and getting shots. As a graduate student (still finishing at this point), I saw this as quite a fantastic opportunity to get cats for very, very cheap! I never had intentions to have multiple cats, but now that I do... great decision!! They keep each other entertained most of the time. Except for the times when I start firing nerf guns at them so they can bat the darts out of the air! Or when it's tv time and they decide that I make a good pillow!

Naming them was also interesting. Originally I was only going to get the tortoiseshell cat and it was brought to my attention that she looked like a Snickers bar therefore... Snickers. When it changed and I knew I was going to get both cats, I needed names that went together. After going through quite a few options I (with a lot of help from my roommate) settled on Jasmine and Maggie (short for Magnolia). The cats grew up in a flower shop, hence flower names. And I did spend quite a while in the Magnolia state, so I couldn't resist.

And that is a summary of how I ended up with my backup entertainment for blizzardy days! They're pretty great and do something every day that cracks me up! Go figure since I've always grown up as a dog person!! (Despite the allergies!)

No comments:

Post a Comment