Sunday, January 5, 2014

We're not in Mississippi anymore!

Recently I feel like it's been right in my face that I'm not in the south anymore. Yes, the weather is a factor (I'll get to that in a minute) but there are other things. I'm a born and raised Midwesterner and I've always loved living in the greater Chicagoland area (read suburbs). People that I met seemed genuine and well-meaning. Then I spent 6 years in Mississippi and experienced "southern hospitality". It's true people, it does exist. Everyone there was always super sweet and willing to talk to you. Example: While finding a place to live, I went to a shoe store that also sold ice cream (incredibly weird, but let's just ignore that for right now). As I was waiting in line an older gentleman came up to me and informed me that i "had the cancer". He pointed to a freckle on my arm and told me I needed to see a doctor. While I was a little creeped out, this just shows that southerners always are looking for ways to help you out. Needless to say, this is just one example of interacting with a random person in a store and I got used to it. Just a little back story for y'all (oh yeah, really feeling my southern-ness right now)!

The other day I go to Kroger looking for a few things for my Texas caviar recipe. I happen to spot a set of car keys at the back of the store and decide I should turn them in. I make my way to the front of a store where I see a worker half organizing the slushee machine. This is the interaction:
Me: Hi ma'am (yes, thank you for that as well South!), I found these keys at the back of the store. (Show her set of car keys)
Kroger employee: Yeah, that's not my problem, you have to take those to the front office (points in random direction).
Me: Oh well ok.... thanks?

Yeah, you better believe that would not have happened in the south! Also this was the same day I was looking for black eyed peas... Guess what they don't sell here?!?! Lol. This part of the day was when I truly realized I had become part Southerner without really noticing it. Yikes! It came as a shock to me too. But being part southern isn't bad if it means I just randomly talk to strangers at the store or recognize that all of the truly good college football is in the south. When discussing the lack of black eyed peas with southern friends I've been offered to have them shipped to me as well as utter disbelief as black eyed peas are a traditional part of New Year's dinner! 

As for the weather... I've already survived one snow storm which left 8 inches of snow. Here's a picture of what the parking lot looked like outside my office.


Just a reminder that was in December. I was told "Oh don't worry, a snow storm like this only happens once a year. We should be set for the rest of the winter". Well... Little did my coworker know that Mother Nature wants to give me a nice war... er... cold welcome back to the north. Current situation... Sitting inside watching rain followed by the fattest heaviest snow I've ever seen in my life. Who knows what's to come next. Predictions of up to 8 inches of snow, but right now it looks like it could be 8 inches of slush! (If that's possible!). Oh and tomorrow?!?! A high of -8 with a "feel like" temp of -36?!?!? Are you kidding me?!?! Never moving from underneath this heated blanket ever!! So cheers to all the rest of my northern friends who are probably doing the same and a big don't complain about your low of 10 to my southern friends! :-) Until I can leave my house again... I'll just keep living the dream from the warmth of this fantastic blanket!!




1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite post yet!!! Especially your use of the word "y'all". And, yes, the low of 5 with wind chills in the negatives doesn't compare to snow and -36, that is still abnormally cold for us too!

    ReplyDelete