Friday, January 10, 2014

Yes, this actually happened.

So in the last post I was complimenting the south on how friendly it can be. Well sometimes the south was... too friendly? So I want to share a part of the south that I won't miss... when the natives are just a little too open in public. Now if I haven't mentioned this before, let me put it out there... truly bizarre things happen to me. This is by far one of the best examples of that:

I promised my friend I would head over to David's Bridal to try on a bridesmaid dress and make sure I ordered the right size. Well as is common in the south in the summer a fantastic afternoon storm rolled in on my way over to David's Bridal. By the time I get there it's pouring so hard I can barely make out the store from the parking lot. Fantastic. I make the mad dash to the store and find that the only other customer in the store besides myself is a bride. Lesson 1: NEVER go into David's Bridal alone. Talk to a few employees get all set up with a dress and they decide to parade me past the lone bride. When I say lone I mean she's there by herself. No bridesmaids, no mom, no sister, no maid of honor. (This is important in one second.) I jump into my dressing room and throw on the bridesmaid dress. Fits great. Sweet. Can I see what I look like though? Noooooo. David's Bridal has no mirrors in the dressing rooms! So I walk out just to see what the dress looks like. This is what happens next:

Bride: Oh. My. Gosh. That bridesmaid dress is amazing.
Me: Why thank you. (Yup fits well... this is the right size... I can be on my way.)
Bride: I really love that style of dress, strapless is great.
Me: It is really nice, but I'm actually getting a slightly different dress, they just don't have any here in my size. (Man what a talkative bride!)
Bride: Oh... well the color!! It would look so good for a fall wedding!! And it really goes with your tone.
Me: Thanks! I really like it too... but for the wedding we're actually getting a different color, they don't have that in either. (Whomp whoom... Man am I Debbie Downer or what?!?!)
Bride: Well I think it might be the color I go with. Would you mind coming over here and standing next to me.
Me: (?????) Sure no problem. I could use the bridesmaid practice.

Now surely you think this is sorta odd. But the bride was there all alone and I felt like she could use a stand in. This however, is not the end of the story. Just a little reference. I came straight from work and just had on a standard every day bra. Ok... back to the story.

Bride: Oh honey... you can't get the full effect with just wearing a regular bra, you need a strapless one!
Me: Oh yes, I have one. I just forgot to bring it today.
Bride: Nonsense! You can use the one I brought!
Me: Oh no really, that's ok. I have one at home.
Bride: Oh no (as she goes into her dressing room) mine is the best! I got it at ... 

At this point I forgot what she said. She had literally walked back into her dressing room and comes back with a strapless bra for me to try on. For as much as she was raving about that bra, she sure didn't take care of it. There were dog chewed areas everywhere!! What does one do in this situation? I walk back over to my dressing room... the one WITHOUT mirrors and throw it on. Now I considered pretending I had tried it on in the dressing room, but the fact that there's no mirrors means I couldn't even pretend to know what it looked like. So I walk back out and tell her it is indeed an amazing bra and I thanked her for letting me get the full effect of my dress. Lesson 2: Always bring a strapless bra when going to try on bridesmaid dresses. And that is one thing I won't miss from the south.

Keep living the dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment