Saturday, January 18, 2014

I'll take the stairs

Oh I'll take the stairs alright! About a month ago a coworker told me there was a stair climbing event called Bop to the Top. This event takes place in the tallest building in Indy. Ha... tallest building in Indy, how hard could that be? - I thought to myself. I thought about signing up, but never did. Until Thursday (as in 2 days ago). Details of the event: Run/walk/climb/crawl/whatever it takes to the top of the building, 36 flights of stairs, 780 steps, 500 ft straight up. And if that isn't enough... do it thrice. So what do I do? 108 flights, 2340 steps, 1500 ft straight up. Was there really any other option?
The view from inside the lobby after checking in.

The whole building. Had to wait for the sun to really come up to get a good picture.

So drove up to Indy early this morning, jamming out to some fantastic running motivation music, checked in, turned in my gear and got ready to tackle this beast. The great thing about the race is that all of the triple steppers were allowed to start at 8:45 and believe me, I was there ready to go with that heat at 8:45. I had no idea how long this was going to take me. So head to the stairs and wait my turn and off I go. Feeling like a champ, knocking out flights like I loved stairs... until the 10th story. Then i wised up and realized this was going to be fairly difficult so I switched to a power through this tactic, where i walked just to make sure I would keep moving. The unfortunate thing about the race was that the only floors that were open were 16, 26 and the top floor. So it was crazy dry in the stairwell. I'm pretty sure I made it to story 25 before I really questioned the fact I had to repeat this insane task 2 more times! Getting to the top that first time... great! My timing chip was cut off and I headed to the elevator... back down. Note to anyone participating in this in the future most of the water is on the top of the building, not the bottom! Searching for water was fairly unsuccessful on the bottom floor which concerned me. But I knew I just had to make it to the 16th floor to get water. So this time I made the wise choice of grabbing a jolly rancher (my new favorite candy) and hit it again.

The jolly rancher made a HUGE difference! This time no horrible cotton mouth! However, my legs got tired a little quicker. But it's all about pacing! My second trip up I made a friend and she and I struggled through most of the stairs together. Actually had a conversation for a few flights. That didn't last long though. This is a little lot different from running! Funnily enough when I made it to the last flight of stairs and the volunteer read off my number, she already new it was my second trip up. I don't know what possibly could have given it away. Just how red I was or the speed in which I was making it up those stairs. Lol. This time I made sure to hit up the water at the top of the building before heading back down. Still didn't waste too much time because I really just wanted to be done.

My break was a tiny bit longer, but that was just to make sure I drank enough water. Then it was chip replacement time and back in line. I was in no hurry this last run. Solid pace and just make it to the top one last time. However, just like in a marathon when somehow miles just disappear, floors just disappear. I was at 20 before i knew it and then 30 and then I could hear the beautiful dinging chip timer at the top!! I even passed someone on my last trip and they were only going up once!! This was when I finally let myself enjoy the view.

View from the top of the building!

I've never done anything like this race, but I enjoyed it. It was like three mini races. Complete exhaustion and then a quick recovery. Also so organized and the volunteers were sooo friendly and motivating! I loved it. Oh and I was shocked by my overall time: 32:48! Can't complain! Goal for next year is to convince someone else to join me! Definitely worth it! And supporting Riley's Children's Hospital! So who's in for the next Bop to the Top?!? You better believe I'll be triple steppin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment