Saturday, February 8, 2014

That moment when you become a local

As a lifelong student who's been living in college towns for the past 10 years, I've always like I've been visitor. It might have something to do with me knowing that I had a goal (getting a degree) and once I reached that goal I would move on. I really became accustom to this visitor mentality (although if you talk to a few of my lab mates they would probably disagree. I was called "the local" because I played in city softball leagues and just found out about different events in the area). Well now I'm in an interesting situation in which I live in a college town, but I'm not a student!! Gasp! Say what?!?!

I've been here for 6 months and haven't had much success with figuring out how to fit in here. Am I a visitor like a student? How do you even become a local to an area? Well. I have answers. Last night I was invited to go bowling. If anyone is new to an area and wants to become a local... go to a bowling alley on a Friday night. (Note: This doesn't apply to big cities.) Pulling in the parking lot was packed. Inside there were all sorts of people. Families celebrating birthdays, high schoolers, bowling leaguers, college students. And if seeing the variety of people didn't give me enough of a feeling of local community there was the music. The music in the bowling alley comes from a modernized jukebox (is there a term for this?). And one minute I'm listening to some great classic rock, the next it's some real good country, and the next reggae?!?! Just shows that a bowling alley on a Friday night shows a good sense of community and makes me feel like a local! Also becoming a regular at the bowling alley definitely helps that local feeling since I go almost every Wednesday to sub in the bowling league!

Not enough evidence that I'm making it as a local? How about following the bowling outing with a trip to a bar away from the campus area called The Office Lounge. Fact. That happened. Walking in there was no evidence of any college students. All locals. I'm talking former military guys, cowboys (complete with hats!), and a few others that I could tell were regulars. Besides the clientele the atmosphere just screamed local! Nothing fancy. Pool tables. Karaoke equipment that looks like it could potentially be from the very early 2000's. So. Much. Fun. See that right there. Local. It's happening!!

And if all that wasn't enough. Today at the Y I saw someone I recognized from bowling league. And at Kroger I ran into someone else that I knew! 6 months in and I'm finally getting that feeling of belonging!

No comments:

Post a Comment