Friday, December 20, 2013

day 1

School has been my life for just about forever, so the idea of my first day of work at my first real career-style job was exciting. Note: the idea of my first day. I guess that's a little harsh. My first day of work was exciting. So exciting it's something I will never forget it. I'd like to recount that first day for you all with all of my very own inner monologue. Without further ado, I present day 1.

All of my excitement for day 1 began in June when I found out I had gotten a job and had a start date of July 29. For those of you that don't know July 29 is my birthday. Inner monologue: Wow! How cool is this? I start my new job as I start a new year of my life, how perfect! What a way to say goodbye to grad school and hello to big kid life! Compound this start date with the fact that I planned to move into my apartment on July 26 and the excitement turned into a wee bit of anxiety. Fear not!! I got a fantastic email from my (at the time) future boss that said let's move your start date back a week. Inner monologue: Best news ever!!! I actually get a week off before I start working!! What a great birthday present!! (Ok, so that may not have just been inner monologue, talk to anyone in my lab and they probably knew this is how I felt!)


After my week of a whole lot of nothing (fantastic, beautiful nothing, and celebrating my birthday in Chicago) I was ready to start my big kid job. Showed up early with (what I thought were) typical first day expectations: tour of the facility, set up my computer, meet some coworkers, maybe some safety training... just the basics. Walking in, I ran into a guy I remembered from my interview and he took me inside and gave me a very brief tour as we looked for my boss. After we found him, we headed upstairs where I was shown my office and introduced to IT as they set up my computer. Inner monologue: So far so good... just what I expected! I can do this working thing! (Cue the ominous music now...)


My boss then calls me into his office and begins with this: Well things have changed around here since you interviewed... Inner monologue: Oh crap!! What does he mean?!?! How changed can they be?!?! Back to boss: The polymer scientist that was working here and we were hoping would show you the ropes has passed away. Shit. What time is it? 9:15? Hmm... wonder if it's frowned on for drinking at this hour. You are our new polymer expert. I'm a what now? Expert?!?! Hahaha... Riiiiiggghht. Also there's a meeting this afternoon I would like you to attend. You want me to attend a meeting?!?! On day 1?!?! Why goodbye frying pan, hello fire.


Surprised at my new found "importance" would be an understatement. I'm pretty sure I just sat in my office staring at my new email account until a wonderful coworker came in and invited me to lunch. Fantastic... I wonder if it's acceptable to lunch drink here like we could in grad school. Over lunch conversation moved away from work to places to go in this new city. I even found out there was a fall softball league and I could join! Score!! Something to do! Did I just make a friend? I think so! Unfortunately lunch ended and I was off to my first meeting.


I show up and obviously have no idea what is going on. Day 1 people, day 1. I, trying to stay positive, decided to use this as a learning opportunity. This is how meetings work, remember to always bring a pen, figure out how to get some business cards, etc. So didn't provide much (anything) to the technical talk. Meeting ended and I went back to my desk. Wow this was a full first day, but I've survived!! I'm a survivor, I'm not gonna give up... Enter boss: You know I really expect you to contribute more. You are our material expert. Exit boss. ?!?!? Haha... you got jokes bossman... oh you're not kidding...Gulp. 


And that is how I transitioned into the big kid world. And discovered the best route home from work... the one with the liquor store :-).


Enjoy the final weekend before Christmas. I'll be out there grabbing a few last minute things like a lot of other people! Keep living the dream!

1 comment: